Next you’ll need to file with the Tax Collector’s office to submit your Business Registration information where it can be viewed by the public if you have a place of business where the general public will come to you.

Depending on the type of business you choose, you might have to verify with your Zoning Center to ensure that they will allow the type of business that you have chosen.

City: Licenses are also required. First there is a City Business License required by your city. You’ll need your Fictitious Business Name Filing from the County. They will require a fee of generally $35 a year for most home based businesses.

State: You might not need a specific State business license, but the easiest way of determining if it’s required is to call the Department of Consumer Affairs at your state capital.

If you’re going to sell anything other than a service, you’ll also need to get a seller’s permit. You can get this through the State Board of Equalization’s office. One way to avoid this extra paperwork and quarterly filing is to have your clients responsible for purchasing the materials you might need even though you physically purchase them at retail. Your business would then be based as a “non-taxable” service.

Leave a Comment